[Skip to content]

Change colour Grey on white Black on yellow
Birmingham and Solihull Mental health NHS Foundation Trust
Better Together

What to do in an emergency



Contacting your General Practitioner (GP)

If you, a friend or relative are experiencing mental health problems and need emergency treatment, you should contact your General Practitioner (GP) in the first instance.

Your GP is your family doctor, the doctor you would normally go to see if you are ill or concerned about your health. He or she can usually deal with a mental health problem more quickly and fully than an Accident and Emergency (A&E) department.



Do you have a GP?

Yes I have a GP

No I don't have a GP



If you are being seen by our services

If you or the person you're concerned about are already being seen by our services, a crisis care plan should be in place to provide personalised advice on who to contact in an crisis. Alternatively, you should:

  • During office hours - call your Care Co-ordinator, or your local centre.

  • Customer Relations normal hours - Monday - Friday 8am - 8pm.

  • Contact our Customer Relations Office on:
    Phone: 0800 953 0045
    Text: 07985 883 509
    Email: bsmhft.customerrelations@nhs.net

    The staff there will be able to put you in touch with someone who can help.
  • Outside of the hours shown above, you can contact our 24 hour switchboard on 0121 301 0000.



More help in an emergency

Always call 999 if someone is seriously ill or injured, and their life is at risk.

  • NHS 111, by dialing 111 - open 24 hours
  • Samaritans on Freephone 116 123 - open 24 hours
  • SANELINE on 0300 304 7000 - open 6pm - 11pm every day