This Bonfire Night (5 November) please be mindful of the negative impact fireworks can have on veterans and others by following Help for Heroes’ Firework Heroes Code.
What is the Firework Heroes Code?
This is a simple code we can all follow to reduce the negative impact fireworks may have on others.
- Be mindful – think about the impact fireworks can have on people (and animals) nearby
- Go to planned public fireworks displays – rather than set off fireworks at home
- Give neighbours advance warning – it can be as simple as a message on a local WhatsApp or Facebook group. If you are having fireworks at home this gives those near you the chance to create a coping strategy
- Go silent – consider using the new generation of ‘silent’ fireworks
- Give support – if you think someone has been affected by fireworks, make them as relaxed and as comfortable as possible and encourage them to reach out for professional help.
Veterans needing emotional support can contact Op Courage Midlands on 0300 323 0139 or visit their website for more information.
Published: 3 November 2023